16 September 2026

How to deal with loneliness

A student sitting at a desk by themselves

Distance learning can be lonely. After starting my degree it was nearly two years before I met anyone from the Open University in person. I have never even had a phone conversation with any students on my modules.

This is invariably different from when I studied in person, regardless of whether I lived on campus, nearby or commuted in from further afield. As a result, it's much harder to share the experience with others, discuss everything from how to do a particular format for an assignment to discussing problems with university admin to just relaxing and sharing the joy of having completed something.

I have a life away from university study and so there are people I see, speak to and deal with regularly. And there are other ways to pass time. Doing a specific hobby alongside the degree is one way. Making guaranteed time to see friends or go places is another. Even just finding a good TV series or book to pass the time can help. But few people around you may know what it's like to be distance learning and even fewer will know about current courses.

But there are ways to connect with other students virtually.

The university provides online internet forums at various levels - tutor group, module, Level 3 route, degree amongst others - that allow some formal discussion and connection. They're also a way to post links to other places where students can connect directly.

Social media is the main way I've connected with others. Facebook has some groups for the Open University, but they can be a little quiet, especially if they've been running for many years. More active are WhatsApp groups. A number of students have set up WhatsApp communities for study with one or more groups for specific fields, usually individual modules. When run well - and all the ones I'm on are very well run - they can be a good way to connect with other students, discuss tips for studying, technical problems, future module choices, life away from studying and so much more. I have found them very helpful in knowing I am not alone.

But if social media messaging isn't your thing, then there are still other ways to handle loneliness.

There are dedicated groups and organisation that one can join. Students at the OU are automatically members of OpenSU (previously the Open University Students Association), the students' union. It runs many events and gives support and advice so check out their website. There are also societies, of which the most significant is the Open University Law Society (OULS) which runs a wide range of activities.

However you approach it, you are never truly alone. There are ways to connect with other students and get involved, even if you never meet them in person. They are still out there.

(Image created with Microsoft 365 Copilot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment